Water Heater Repair
Professional Water Heater Repair
McAdams Plumbing is your #1 choice for high quality, affordable water heater repair.
Rick – Licensed Master Plumber
Our licensed professionals can have your water heater repair issue solved quickly and professionally. See our specials page for great water heater deals.
Hot Water Heater Repair
Water heaters are a necessity in homes today. We need hot water for bathing, washing the dishes, laundry and more.
At McAdams plumbing we provide complete water heater repair services to keep your system in top form. If you are in need of water heater repair or replacement, our licensed expert technicians can often have the problem fixed the very same day. Our plumbers are knowledgeable in all the many types of water heaters.
We service a wide variety of water heater brands and our plumbers have been doing so for the last 40 years.
Please feel free to browse our site or call and speak with a live water heater expert to answer any questions you may have. We have highly skilled and factory trained local water heater technicians available for service throughout the Denver and Boulder area.
Common Water Heater Repair Problems
No Hot Water
- Pilot not lit — the most common gas water heater problem-click here for help.
- Gas off — check gas cut off valve at heater – check gas meter or gas tank.
Pilot Will Not Light
- Gas off — check cut off valve – check meter or gas tank
- Air in gas line — hold pilot button down and try to relight several times.
- Pilot orifice clogged — remove and clean.
- Pilot supply line kinked or clogged — inspect – replace.
- Defective gas control valve — replace gas valve.
Pilot Lights But Will Not Stay Lit
- Check thermocouple — tip of the thermocouple probe must be in the pilot flame — thermocouple must be tight at the gas control valve — check thermocouple for kinks — replace thermocouple.
- Gas control valve defective — gas valves can not be repaired — replace gas control valve.
Pilot Light Goes Out Intermittently
- Thermocouple going bad — replace thermocouple.
- Pilot orifice or line partially clogged — remove and clean.
- Main burner — burner partially clogged causing blow back or roll out blowing out pilot light – Remove burner assembly and clean.
- Down draft from flue — this may happen on very windy days.
- Gas control valve going bad — replace gas valve.
- Bradford White Water Heaters are equipped with fully enclosed pilot boxes, this eliminates this pesky problems
Water Too Hot
- Short cycling — this happens when you run just enough hot water to cause the burner to come on, by the time it cycles off the water in the top of the tank can be 20 to 30 degrees higher than normal.
- Thermostat set to high — adjust thermostat.
- Gas control valve malfunction — replace gas control valve.
Not Enough Hot Water
- Thermostat — adjust thermostat
- Overuse — You will only get around 50 percent of the water heater volume of really hot water – around 20 percent more warm water – Its very easy to use up hot water without realizing it.
- Water heater undersized — space out hot water usage – replace water heater
- Thermostat malfunction — replace gas control valve.
- Burner orifice — orifice partially clogged – remove and clean.
- Water heater dip tube — remove dip tub and check for cracks or breakage.
- Low gas pressure — call gas supplier.
Water Heater Slow To Reheat
- Thermostat — thermostat set to low.
- Sediment — extreme amount of sediment in bottom of the tank – drain,flush and clean water heater.
- Burner orifice — orifice clogged – remove and clean.
- Weather — incoming water temperatures may drop as much as 25 degrees in the winter.
- Low gas pressure — call gas supplier.
Water Heater Noisy
- Sediment — clean sediment from bottom of tank.
- Heat traps — heat trap nipples will cause a small amount of noise – this is normal.
Flame Rolls Out Of Access Opening When Burner Fires
- Burner clogged — remove burner assembly and clean burner and orifice.
- Excess gas pressure — call gas supplier.
Our Master plumbers are happy to come out and inspect your water heater to ensure it’s functioning properly. We’ll make recommendations of what’s repairable, replaceable, and appropriate for your water heater.
There are many factors that come in to play regarding water heater repairs. Age, workload, brand, model, etc. We can take the guessing out for you and give you honest feedback to save you money and hassle.
In some cases though, it’s much cheaper in the long run to replace rather than repair a water heater.